I tried for the first time this recipe the other day as I was looking for healthy snacks for when I’m at home and feeling a bit hungry to stop me from reaching for the Nutella. As they came out quite tasty (I find the salt give them a little something more) I wanted to share with you my recipe for those granola bars.
- 200g rolled oats
- 40g vegetable oil
- 100g almonds
- 80g honey
- 80g brown sugar
- 1tsp salt
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, oil, and salt.
- Spread on a baking sheet with aluminum foil and put in the oven at 190° for about 20 minutes until the oats are golden. Stir with a wooden spoon every 5-10 minutes.
- In the meantime, roughly chop the almonds. Do not mix them as you don't want almond powder!
- Heat the sugar and honey in a saucepan at medium temperature until combined.
- Stir the oats and almonds together and then add the honey/sugar to the mixture. Combine.
- Oil a square or rectangular baking pan and pour everything into it. The mixture should be flat and tight so that everything sticks together once cooked.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes.
- Once the cooking part is done, wait 10 minutes before cutting into bars. You can cut in as many bars as you want. Don't wait too long before cutting the bars because they will harden and it will be difficult to cut them.
notesYou can, of course, add a lot more nuts, like pecans or hazelnuts (which I'll probably try next time) but almonds are my personal favorites. If they come out too hard, you can still soften them a few seconds in the microwave before eating them! You can also try adding less sugar to the honey so it doesn't caramelize as much. It's up to you!
Adapted from Delectably Mine